Syncing Across Network

General talk about our software.

Is EZOutlookSync good across a basic, small network?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:47 pm

Yes.
100%
No; another program.
No votes
Yes, but you really need to know how to set the network.
No votes

Total votes: 1

jeremyRRBA

Syncing Across Network

Post by jeremyRRBA »

I work in a small office, we on Office 2007, and are looking to sync mainly our contact and calender information across our in-office network. I downloaded EZOutlookSync to use the free trial, and have not had much luck so far.

My problem begins when I attempt to set the path of the source file, which is the outlook.pst file on our receptionist's computer. I can get to the file fine. I also should clarify our network. We have a normal computer that has one specific file mapped, which acts as our server. For any other needs to access the server, we use a zero-configuration app called Hamachi. Anyway, when I attempt to open the file as the source, it says "Mapi Error: 80070005. File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file Z:\..."

So I basically need some quick questions answered as to whether or not this is the best program to use for syncing our information across our specific network. I have already made the needed folders on our receptionist's computer shared, and deactivated the 'read-only'. Networking is not my forte, so any answers/replies might need to take the form of a "wizard", if you will. Thanks in advance.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EZOutlookSync is a good tool for synchronization over a network. We have quite a lot users who do this task on a regular basis.

With regards to a MAPI error, here're some common guidelines:

Outlook should be closed prior synchronization.
MAPI error appears when pst file is used by another application. Try
following actions (first of all restart your PC and try to sync again):
1. Close Outlook.
2. Make sure that the PST file is not being used by any other program
3. Run the Unlocker tool: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Hope this will help.
jeremyRRBA

Still no go...

Post by jeremyRRBA »

Thanks for the reply. It's been busy in the office, so I'm just now getting back to your suggestions.

I've made sure that no .pst files, on either end, are being used, and I'm still coming up with that MAPI error. I installed Unlocker, but it says that nothing in the "Microsoft" folder (the sourse file in the MAPI error box) is locked.

Aside from any other suggestions that come to mind, is there an "owner's manual" for lack of a better term, online somewhere that gives an ideal set up for a small office trying to use EZsync? Thanks again...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And just for clarification- you're running the latest 1.6 version of EZOS?
jeremyRRBA

Post by jeremyRRBA »

Yes, I'm running v1.61.
gnfb

looking for solution

Post by gnfb »

Ok Im looking for a solution to laptop and workstation outlook 2007 on both vista buisness on laptop xppro on workstation
started to test your product got mapi error shut down outlook on source after reading forum and started to sync
so
1. I presume first time it takes ages to sync , fair enough after does it just sync changed files and is much quicker?
2. Do i have to close outlook each time I want to sync? (this would effectively end our relationship :)
3. Can it be set to sync at regular times as I would foget?
Thanks
Graham
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jeremyRRBA, please try to open that PST file with Outlook - will you be able to achieve that? If not - you should check settings of your network.

gnfb,
1. Yes, but it still takes some time in order to compare all the elements from both PST files.
2. If you get MAPI errors then yes, Outlook should be closed.
3. Yes, Pro version has this functionality.