Increase in load time??

General talk about our software.
tomoc

Increase in load time??

Post by tomoc »

Hi-

I'm running EZpro 2.0 on two vista machines. I recently deleted about 450 contacts (from about 1100) and ever since the startup time for the sync has really increased... to about 35 seconds. By startup time I mean the time from when you click on the Sync button until the sycn actually begins and the activity shows in the little dialog box.

I'm wondering if there is some procedure I should do to speed it back up (the sync really FLYS with the new version) but it now takes much longer to start.

thanks,

tom

PS. my wife has EZpro 2.0 on her vista machines and it starts right up in maybe 5 seconds.
Tom O'Connell
admin
Site Admin

Re: Increase in load time??

Post by admin »

Tom, please try to compact your Otulook file. From within Outlook click on File->Data File Management, Data Files tab, select the default file and click on Settings.. This should bring up a window with the Compact Now button. Should help. Thanks.
tomoc

Post by tomoc »

Thanks... After doing that, the .pst file was reduced dramatically on both machines. One machine now starts up quickly but the other still has that 35-40 second lag.

Is there another maneuver to try also?

thanks again,

tom
Tom O'Connell
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You may also want to defragment the disk partition on which your PST file is located. Since you deleted large amount of data from your personal folders file recently, the PST file might became fragmented. Thanks.
tomoc

Post by tomoc »

I just did that and it didn't help and now the laptop has gone back to the longer load time.

do you think it is worth trying an uninstall and reinstall? or maybe try going back to 1.6 and seeing if it is faster and then upgrading again?

thanks

tom
Tom O'Connell
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Frankly speaking I doubt reinstall will help. Going back to 1.6 and then forward to 2.0 might possibly help but I doubt that, as well. You may want to synchronize your existing Outlook file into a new one thus making an identical copy and then see whether every thing's ok with the newly created file?
tomoc

Post by tomoc »

well... none of that helped... uninstall etc. same result.

copied one .pst to the other machine... no difference.

dug out scanpst.exe and ran it on both macines (fixed some errors)... no difference.

guess I'll just call it a feature and use the time to do something else <VBG>

thanks for the suggestions,

tom
Tom O'Connell
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tom, what's the size of your PST file?
tomoc

Post by tomoc »

It's about 136kb, down from 300+kb before I deleted all the contacts.

I did a full defrag of one machine last night and the PST file had 6 fragments ... I am going to defrag the other machine before I sync again and see if it is the same or different and if that makes a difference.

tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You mean 136 MB? Please let us know if defragmentation of your second computer's hard drive helped.
tomoc

Post by tomoc »

yikes... definitely 136 MB

The second defrag did nothing for me, but I have learned a bit more.

I was puzzled why it would happen to me and not on my wife's machines... I see that she never upgraded to 2.0 (will do that asap)... but I also saw that she didn't run without preview as I do.

Once I set it back to preview mode, it seems to run fine. Now I do get some delay when the window is up saying "Please wait, data loading" but once that happens and I click, the sync is instant and fast.

I will just go back to running the preview summary.

cheers,

tom
Tom O'Connell